Fall Semester Japanese Traditional Arts II
Instructor: TANAKA Katsushige
- Preparation for calligraphy: equipment, posture, how to hold the brush, how to make strokes
- Practice of basic writing styles: Chinese characters, hiragana, katakana
- Practice of the "Joyo kanji" (general use characters)
- Practical application: coloured paper, short booklets, writing letters, writing a curriculum vitae
- Appreciation: study of celebrated examples of writing representative of Japanese and Chinese styles
Regular tests, Attendance, Attitude, Class participation There will also be a practical exam on the final day of class.
While no textbooks will be used, students will study Tanaka-sensei's own handwriting, along with samples of representative styles of writing in Chinese and Japanese.
To be explained during the class.