Requirements for Leave of Absence
If a student is unable to attend classes for more than two consecutive months due to illness or other unavoidable reasons, the student may file a request to take a leave of absence. The College will determine whether the request is accepted. A student determined to be unfit to attend classes due to an illness may be ordered to take a leave of absence. Deliberation on a leave of absence may take from two weeks to nearly one month depending on the Faculty Council schedule.
- The leave of absence period does not count toward the total enrollment period.
- The leave of absence period should not exceed two consecutive years but may be extended by a maximum of one year with the approval of the University under special circumstances.
The leave of absence period should not exceed a total of three years since the initial admission to the University. (Applies to students admitted from AY2010.)
For example, if a student takes a leave of absence for 2 years in AY 2020 and AY 2021, reenrolls in AY 2022, and takes another leave of absence for 1 year in AY 2023, the student is not permitted to take any more leave of absence.
- Students are exempt from having to pay tuition while on a leave of absence; however, they are required to pay a matriculation fee instead.
Procedures for Taking a Leave of Absence
(1) Form and Other Necessary Documents
To request a leave of absence, students must submit to the Administrative Office of their College (OIC: Manabi Station) the designated 休学願 (Request for Leave of Absence) form containing the signature of their guarantor and one of the following documents proving the student cannot attend classes for more than two consecutive months.
|Reason for Leave of Absence||Documents Required for Submission|
|Family matter||Statement of Reason (Designated form)|
|Financial reason||Statement of Reason (Designated form)|
|Work-related circumstance||Certificate from employer|
|Traveling overseas (study abroad at personal expense、overseas internship or volunteer work, other overseas learning or research, international exchange activity)||
|Conscription||Certificate of Acceptance issued by military|
|Other (Internship programs in Japan, post-earthquake volunteer activities, etc.)||A document certifying that the student cannot attend classes for more than two consecutive months|
(2) Deadline to Submit Documents and Dates of Leave of Absence
Students must submit their request for a leave of absence by the dates listed below. Leaves of absence are granted in units of one academic semester or one year. If a student receives permission to take a leave of absence after the semester or academic year starts, the specified start date of the leave of absence is the date the student permitted to begin their leave of absence. However, the period of time between the day the semester or academic year starts and the day before the specified start date for the leave of absence are also counted as part of the total leave of absence period.
|Leave of Absence Period||Submission Deadline|
|Spring semester or Whole year||By May 31|
|Fall semester||By November 30|
* In principle, a request for a leave of absence immediately after the student enrolls or re-enrolls (during the same semester) in the university will be accepted only in cases where there are unavoidable circumstances due to illness. Furthermore, taking another leave of absence immediately after reenrollment (during the same semester) will not be permitted except for unavoidable circumstances such as illness.
* International students taking a leave of absence will lose their residence status of "Student." Please consult with the International Center in advance.
Matriculation Fees during Leave of Absence Period
The matriculation fee during the leave of absence period is 5,000 yen per semester. Students may also be asked to pay other miscellaneous fees. The matriculation fee must be paid within two weeks of the specified start date for the leave of absence.
The statement of payment is enclosed with the leave of absence permission notice.
Procedures to End Leave of Absence Period
The University will send a 休学期間終了に伴う手続について (information about the procedures related to the end of the leave of absence period) letter to the student/their guarantor shortly before the leave of absence period ends (late July for spring semester, late January for fall semester). The student is required to complete the procedures listed below. If the procedures are not completed by the end of the leave of absence period, the student will be removed from the student registry as of that date.
|When a Leave of Absence Ends||What to Submit when a Leave of Absence Ends|
|End of spring semester||
during the periods of August 1 through the end of August.
|End of fall semester||
during the periods of February 1 through the end of February.
* Once the total leave of absence period has reached 3 years, the student is no longer able to submit a 休学願 (Request for Leave of Absence).