How to Apply
This page explains the procedure for applying to SKP. Please read the following information carefully before applying. Applications are submitted entirely online. When applying, you will also be asked to upload documents required for application screening. Please prepare these documents so that the application is submitted by the deadline.
Day Left Until the Deadline
The 2024 Spring Semester application will be open to ALL STUDENTS including those self-sponsored students as well as exchange students from partner institutions who will apply under a student exchange agreement. For self-sponsored students, payment of the program fee will be due within two weeks from the announcement of acceptance. The program fees have been revised. For the up-to-date program fee, please refer to [the "Program Fee and Scholarships" page].Thank you for your continued understanding and cooperation.
- If you are applying as an exchange student through your home university
- 01.You can check if your university has an exchange agreement with Ritsumeikan University on the “Partner Institutions” page. If your home university has an exchange agreement, you may be able to apply to SKP as an exchange student.
- 02.Please consult with the exchange coordinator at your home university regarding your desire to participate in SKP at Ritsumeikan University.
- 03.If you are nominated by your university to apply to SKP as an exchange student, please note that the application process is carried out through your university’s exchange coordinator.
(Application deadlines, application guidelines, and other information can be found on this page.)
Start Wednesday, September 27, 2023 JST Deadline Wednesday, October 18, 2023 JST
- Details regarding the nomination procedure are sent to partner university exchange coordinators’ email addresses.
Start Friday, October 6, 2023, 10:00 JST Deadline Wednesday, November 1, 2023, 17:00 JST
- Once nominations have been approved, SKP Application Form account details will be sent to the applicants and the partner university exchange coordinators via email, to the email addresses registered to the online Nomination Form.
Step 1Carefully Read the Application Guidelines
Please read the “Application Guidelines” carefully before starting the application process. There are several documents required for application, so please prepare them as soon as possible.
Also, please review the checklist below.
- Do you know which track you want to participate in? Track Comparison
- Does the track offer courses that you want to take? Course Lists From Previous Semesters
- Do you know which campus you want to study on? About Our Campuses
- Have you checked Ritsumeikan’s scholarship systems? Program Fee and Scholarships
- Have you checked how much money you will need to cover the program fee and support your life in Japan? Program Fee and Scholarships
- Have you checked the services available at the I-Houses and Ritsumeikan University? Life in SKP
- Have you checked the FAQ? FAQ
Pre-Application Consultation Service
Students who are unsure about applying to SKP for any of the following reasons can consult with the “Pre-Application Consultation Service” by e-mail before applying.
The pre-application consultation does not affect any decisions regarding program acceptance.
- You are diagnosed with an illness or have a disability.
- You need to continuously take medication or require continuous medical treatment.
- Based on your diagnosed illness or disability, you have consulted with individual teachers at your home university regarding support and accommodations.
- You have applied to receive reasonable accommodation at your home university based on your diagnosed illness or disability.
- You are diagnosed with an illness or have a disability but have no experience of seeking special assistance or accommodations.
- You have no diagnosed illnesses, disabilities, etc., but have significant anxiety about studying and student life.
- Please also refer to [ Reference Materials ].
The Pre-Application Consultation Service will provide the following information to the extent possible.
- Support and accommodations for studying at Ritsumeikan University
- What to prepare for coming to Japan
- Student life at Ritsumeikan University (medical, professional support, residence, meals, etc.)
Pre-Application Consultation: email@example.com
Step 2Start the Application Process
Start Your Online Application
- The 2024 Spring Semester application will be open to ALL STUDENTS including those self-sponsored students as well as exchange students from partner institutions who will apply under a student exchange agreement.
- The online application form for Self-Sponsored Students is currently closed.
- For Exchange Studetns: The link to the application form will be provided to applicants through their home university’s exchange coordinator.
- Please fill in the required information and upload document files.
- During the application period, you can save your application at any time and resume it later.
- Please save the final page of the application as a PDF for your own reference before final submission of the application.
- The SKP staff may contact you concerning your application, so please check your email regularly. Also, please be sure to hold on to your application documents until the start of the program as you may be asked to provide additional explanations and documents.
- After the final submission of your application, a confirmation email will be sent to the email address used for the application within 24 hours. If you do not receive a confirmation email, it is possible that your application was not completed, in which case please contact SKP staff.
- Applications with partial or incomplete information will not be accepted. Also, late submissions and resubmission of incomplete documents/details past the deadline will not be accepted.
|Start||Friday, October 6, 2023, 10:00 JST|
|Deadline||Wednesday, November 1, 2023, 17:00 JST|
- Please be sure to submit all documents required for application screening by the deadline.
Step 3Notification of Application Results
Application results are scheduled to be sent to your email address.
In addition, please check the program schedule below for information on events following application results notification.
|Application Results||Late December|
|Housing/Scholarship Results||Mid-February, 2024|
|COE (Visa Application Materials) Sent Out||Mid-February, 2024
(Depends on when the Immigration Bureau of Japan issues the COE)
|Arrival in Japan||Mid-March, 2024|
|Orientation Begins||Mid-March, 2024|
|Start of the Semester||April 1, 2024|
|Program Ends||July 31, 2024|
|End of the Semester||September 25, 2024|
|Academic Transcripts Issued||After September 26, 2024|
|Academic Transcripts Sent Out||Early October, 2024|
Regarding Academic Transcript Issuance
- Ritsumeikan University does not issue electronic transcripts. Also, academic transcript data cannot be sent via email.
- Spring Semester (i.e., April – July) academic transcripts will be issued after September 26. Fall Semester (i.e., September – January) academic transcripts will be issued after April 1.
- Following program completion, academic transcripts will be sent from Ritsumeikan University to students’ individual addresses. Exchange students’ academic transcripts will be sent to their home universities.
- For those completing the program in July, academic transcripts are expected to be sent out in early October. For those completing the program in January, academic transcripts are expected to be sent out in mid-April.
- For students whose study period is a full year, academic transcripts for the entire study period will be sent after the completion of the second semester. If a transcript is needed after completing one semester, students will need to purchase their own transcript and send it to their home universities.