1. Home
  2. Resources
  3. FAQ

Applying to SKP

I am a Japanese national or possess Japanese citizenship (e.g., dual citizenship, etc.). Can I still apply to SKP?
Applicants that hold Japanese citizenship can apply to SKP. If you hold Japanese citizenship, please be sure to apply to SKP using your Japanese passport. In addition, you must enter Japan using your Japanese passport.  If you believe there is a possibility that you may hold Japanese citizenship, please confirm your situation with your family. (There have been cases in the past where applicants were unaware that they possessed Japanese citizenship until late in the application process, which created problems for student visa issuance.)
Is there a maximum age limit for applying to SKP?
There is no maximum age limit for applying to SKP. However, please check the Application Guidelines for the current admission requirements.
I have already applied to SKP in the past. Can I apply more than once?
Non-exchange applicants that have previously applied to SKP may apply again. Exchange applicants may be able to apply again, but they need to check with their home university exchange coordinator to see if they will be re-nominated for exchange.
Can I apply to multiple tracks?
Students may only apply to one of the three available tracks during any given application period.
Does the Letter of Recommendation need to be written in the provided format?
No, the Letter may be written in a different format. However, the Letter of Recommendation must answer all questions and contain all requested information in the provided template for the Letter of Recommendation.
Do I need to submit scores for the JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test) in order to apply?
Applicants to the Regular Courses in English (RCE) track do not need to submit JLPT scores in their application.
Applicants to the Regular Courses in Japanese (RCJ) track must submit JLPT scores certifying they passed JLPT N1.
Applicants to the Intensive Japanese Language (IJL) track are not required to submit JLPT scores in their application, but applicants who have scores certifying they passed JLPT N1 should submit those scores in their application.
Do I need to submit English proficiency test scores (e.g., TOEFL, TOEIC, CEFR, IELTS, etc.)?
Applicants to the Regular Courses in English (RCE) track that are not native English speakers must submit English proficiency test scores that meet the minimum requirements indicated in the Application Guidelines (i.e., TOEFL® iBT 68 / PBT 520, CEFR B2, IELTS 6.0, or equivalent).
Applicants to other tracks should submit such scores if they intend to also take courses taught in English.
I have studied at one (or more) universities prior to my current enrollment at my home university. Do I need to submit my transcripts for all of the universities I have studied at?
Applicants must submit official transcripts for all the institutions they have attended at the undergraduate level or higher.
Graduate student applicants who have not been enrolled at their university for at least one year must also submit their undergraduate transcript(s).
Are there any scholarships that cover SKP tuition and all fees?
When applying to SKP, applicants may simultaneously apply for the JASSO and/or RUSSES scholarship(s) which provide periodic stipends to recipients to support their study abroad. More information about these scholarships can be found in the Scholarships section of the Application Guidelines, and information on other scholarships (e.g., MEXT, etc.) may be obtained by looking online or consulting with your study abroad coordinator (in the case of exchange students).
Please note that, for visa application purposes, all SKP applicants must show that have enough financial resources to pay tuition and cover expected expenses while studying abroad regardless of scholarship selection status. For details, please see the Statement of Financial Support accessible through the Application Guidelines.

Application Guidelines

Some of my documents might be late and arrive after the application period. What should I do?
If you believe that some documents might only arrive after the end of the application period (e.g., Letter of Recommendation written by a professor, Medical Information and Certificate signed by a physician, etc.), please contact the SKP staff immediately (as well as your study abroad coordinator, in the case of exchange students). Documents are generally not accepted after the end of the application period, but contacting the staff ahead of time may allow them to provide guidance on how to get all the required documents in on time.
What is the minimum GPA I need to be accepted into the program?
The standard required GPA for application is 3.0 on a maximum 4.0 scale (“B” average). Student exchange applicants from partner universities must have a higher score than the criteria mark written in their university’s Agreement for Student Exchange.

Traveling to Japan

I would like to buy airline tickets as soon as possible to avoid high costs. Will this be ok?
We strongly recommend that students not purchase their airline ticket before they receive their visa. If you happen to not receive your visa by your planned departure date, Ritsumeikan University will not be held responsible for any reason.
In the visa application, do I need to fill in the “guarantor” section in the application form?
If you hand in the COE and Certificate of Scheduled Enrollment documents (that will have been sent to you by Ritsumeikan University) with your application form, you do not have to fill in this section.
After obtaining a visa, can I enter Japan early for sightseeing purposes?
You will be notified in advance by Ritsumeikan University when you should enter Japan, so please be sure to enter during the designated period. It is impossible to change to a “Student” Status of Residence in Japan after entering the country as a “Temporary Visitor” (e.g., as a tourist). In the event that you enter Japan as a Temporary Visitor, you will need to return to your home country and then re-enter Japan with your Student visa. Also, if you enter the country earlier than the designated period, your visa may expire before you finish the program.


Where can I find the course lists for SKP?
The most recent course lists will be handed out during the course registration guidance. For lists of courses offered in past semesters, please check the Course Lists From Previous Semesters.
The Online Syllabus can also be accessed from this page.
Can I take classes in Japanese?
Students in the Regular Courses in Japanese (RCJ) track are able to take select regular courses taught in Japanese. In addition, IJL students in Japanese Level VII or VIII may also take such courses offered in Japanese.
I am an undergraduate student. Can I take courses at the graduate level?
SKP students enrolled at the undergraduate level may not take courses offered at the graduate level.