How to Apply
The application period for study beginning in 2018 Spring is September 15, 2017 to October 31, 2017.
All application documents must arrive by the application deadline.
A completed application form with supporting documents must arrive at the International Center by the application deadline. Applications are accepted twice a year in both fall and spring. Students applying under an Agreement for Student Exchange with RU must submit their applications through the study abroad office at their institution. All other students should submit their applications directly to the International Center. All application materials must arrive at the International Center by the deadline.
[ Note ]
- Application documents are updated at the beginning of each application period. Please be sure you are using the most current version of the application documents.
- Students from universities sharing an Agreement for Student Exchange with the College of Business Administration at RU who are applying to the Business Track should contact the College of Business Administration for more information regarding application procedures.
- In order to correctly display the PDF application files, you may need to install the Japanese font pack for Acrobat Reader.
Application Guideline (All Tracks)
Please read the Application Guideline before filling in the application form.
- Application Guideline (For Students from Partner Universities Only)
- Application Guideline (For Non-partner University Students)
Application Document (All Tracks)
Meet requirement a) or b)
a) Currently enrolled in an institution of higher education for at least one year prior to the commencement of the program
b) Have graduated from an institution of higher education with a bachelor's degree or equivalent
[ Note ]
Applicants from partner universities must have a higher score than the criteria mark written in the Agreement for Student Exchange. For other applicants, the standard is GPA 3.0/4.0 (B average). For other information regarding enrollment requirements, please see the Study in Kyoto Program website or pamphlet.
For IJL track:
Japanese language ability is not a prerequisite. However, basic communication ability in English is required for students with no previous experience with the Japanese language.
For OSE and BT track: You must be a native speaker of English, or you must possess a minimum TOEFL® score of iBT 68 / PBT 520 (or its equivalent) is required.
Each SKP student is required to obtain a student visa prior to coming to Japan. RU will act as a guarantor during the term of the program and will apply to the Japanese Ministry of Justice for the Certificate of Eligibility required for each student’s visa application. Once issued, this certificate will be forwarded to all successful applicants. Applicants will then need to present the certificate to their local Japanese embassy or consulate when making their visa application. All applicants are advised to contact their country’s Japanese embassy or local consulate directly to determine what other documents will need to be submitted and how long the process will take.