Tuition & Fees
Fee(s) for students enrolled in 2024
|Program||Enrollment||First year||Second year
|JD Program||April||679,700||679,700||1,559,400||See below|
- Spring Semester: April to September / Fall Semester: September to March
- The admission fee is paid only in the first year.
- Separate fees may be charged if a student takes certain courses.
- Changes to tuition fees may be proposed when social factors such as rapid inflation have a significant impact on the University.
- Payment of the miscellaneous membership fees detailed below is carried out at the same time as payment of tuition fees.
Miscellaneous Membership Fees
The University collects fees on behalf of the various groups detailed in the table below. These membership fees are collected at the same time as Tuition Fee(s). Fees for 2024 enrollees are scheduled to be announced once available.
First year fees for students enrolled in 2024
Program Enrollment Student Union Academic
of Student Education
GLA April 3,000 5,000 - 5,000 10,000 23,000 September 3,000 5,000 - 5,000 10,000 23,000 JD Program April 3,000 5,000 4,000/Semester
5,000 10,000 31,000 GS Major April 3,000 5,000 4,000/Semester
5,000 10,000 31,000 September 3,000 5,000 4,000/Semester 5,000 10,000 27,000 CRPS Major September 3,000 5,000 4,000/Semester 5,000 10,000 27,000 ISSE Course April 3,000 5,000 - 5,000 10,000 23,000
- Registration Fees for the Student Union and Parents Association of Student Education Assistance are only collected in the first year.
- Membership Fees for the Student Union and Parents Association of Student Education Assistance can only be paid in one payment.
While studying at ANU, students do not need to pay the membership fees for the Student Union but do have to pay the membership fees for the Parents Association of Student Education Assistance.
While studying at AU, students do not have to pay membership fees for the Student Union and Adademic Association but must pay the membership fees for the Parents Association of Student Education Assistance.
JD Program GS Major CRPS Major
For April Enrollment
Membership fees for the Academic Association is collected per semester (4,000 yen per semester), however, annual fee of 8,000 yen is collected when tuition fees are paid for both Spring Semester and Fall Semester at once.
For September Enrollment
Membership fees for the Academic Association is collected per semester (4,000 yen per semester), however, annual fee of 8,000 yen is collected if, after enrollment, the student chooses to pay tuition fees for 2 semesters (e.g. the second semester; the third semester) at once.
Tuition fees of the Joint Degree Program (JDP)
Tuition Fees and Miscellaneous Fees at American University
Students of this program study their first year, the spring semester of their second year, and the fall semester of their fourth year at RU. Students pay tuition fees to RU during these periods. Please see the table above for tuition fees for the periods of study at RU. The fees below are tuition fees for the second year and beyond for the study at RU.
Tuition per semester: 679,700 JPY, Tuition per year: 1,359,400 JPY
Students of this program will be attending AU for 4 semesters from the fall semester of their second year to the spring semester of their fourth year. Students will pay tuition and other fees to AU during this period. The fees below are tuition and other fees for the 2023-2024 academic year at AU. The fees will change at AU every academic year.
School of International Service Tuition Fee
|Tuition Fee (per semester)||Total|
(12-17.5 credit hours)
(18 credit hours)
School of International Service Miscellaneous Fees
(Undergraduate Students Full-Time, per semester)
- For American University tuition fees, 1,856 USD per additional credit is incurred over 18 credit hours (Tuition 2023-2024).
- The above fees are for the 2023-2024 academic year at AU. The tuition and fees are expected to increase 5-7% annually. Therefore, the fees may be more than the price listed in this handbook by the time students study at AU in their second year.
- In addition to the tuition and fees, students who stay at AU’s dormitories will need to spend about 5,455 USD (Double Occupancy) for a dormitory and about 1,805 USD for a meal plan (with $300 Dining Dollars) per semester, depending on their dormitories and meal plans. Also, all the fees are subject to change.
Please see this page for more information.