FAQ & Contact

Frequently Asked Questions

If the FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) below do not answer your questions, you may contact us through our Contact.


Q1: What programs are available in English?

The programs below are offered in English-medium for undergraduate level studies.

Q2: It says that all the classes are taught in English, but can I take classes in Japanese?

In the Global Studies Major (College of International Relations) and the Community and Regional Policy Studies Major (College of Policy Science), students can take the classes taught in Japanese within respective Colleges if his/her Japanese level is satisfactory.

Q3: I'm interested in the Master’s/Doctoral programs. Where can I find information?

Please visit the Ritsumeikan University graduate school admissions information website HERE.


Q1: Can I transfer credits that I earned from another school?

English-medium Undergraduate Programs do not accept transfer credits. If you wish to enroll in these programs, you will have to start from your first year.

Q2: I only possess Japanese nationality. Which admission method can I apply to?

There are no nationality requirements for AO Admissions (English Basis).

Q3: Is there a maximum age limit for applying to the English-medium Undergraduate Programs?

No. There is no maximum age limit for students applying for English-medium Undergraduate Programs.

Q4: Can I apply more than once? / Can I apply to multiple programs?

Yes. Students may apply in more than one application period. However, students must submit a new set of application and pay a separate application fee for each application. Please visit HERE for details.

Q5: Is "Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students (EJU)" required for English-medium Undergraduate Programs?

No. International students are not required to submit EJU scores for application to English-medium Undergraduate Programs.
International students who are looking to apply for the Japanese-medium Degree Programs will be required to submit their EJU scores. For admissions information about Japanese-medium Degree Programs, please visit HERE (Japanese only).

Q6: Do the letter(s) of reference need to be written in the provided format?

Yes. Applicants must request their letters of reference via the application system. There is a designated field in the form if they choose to upload their own format as well.

Q7: What is a Certificate of Scheduled High School Graduation?

It is a certificate issued by a high school or educational institution indicating that a student is expected to graduate from high school/senior secondary education at a specific date in the future. It serves as confirmation of the student's anticipated graduation.

If necessary, a template for ‘Certificate of Scheduled High School Graduation’ is available for download here.
*If the academic transcript indicates the expected graduation date, submission of a certificate of scheduled high school graduation is not required.

Q8: I have graduated from / am enrolled in a university. Do I need to submit the transcripts of my university?

Students must submit transcripts of all grades of senior secondary education (high school, junior college, polytechnics, etc.) or certificate of results of International Baccalaureate, Baccalaureate, Abitur or GCE A-Level. Applicants who have enrolled at a tertiary education institution (university, college, etc.) after completing secondary education must submit the academic transcripts with grades for the period attended.

Q9: Secondary school in my country integrates G7 to G12. Do I need to submit all 6 years of transcripts?

Students need to submit transcripts of senior secondary school. If your senior secondary school has 3 (or 2, 4) years of education, please submit 3 (or 2, 4) years of transcripts accordingly. Please refer to "Academic Transcripts" in the Application Handbook (available HERE).

Q10: Do all the applicants need to submit English Proficiency Test Scores (TOEFL, IELTS or TOEIC)?

Submission of English test scores is not required for applicants who fulfill the waiver criteria stated 3. English Language Proficiency.

Q11: Is there an expiration date for the English Proficiency Test Scores?

The English tests must have been taken within the two-year period before the last date of the application period*1 that the applicant applies for and the test score must be available during the application period.

*1 For information on the valid period of the English Language Test scores for GLA, RU applicants must comply with the rules as stated in the RU Application Handbook rather than the ANU Policy.

Q12: Is the application fee refundable?

No, application fee is non-refundable. It is a mandatory fee to be considered for admission and required for all applicants.

Q13: Is there any scholarship that covers the application fee?

No. Currently, there is no scholarship that covers the application fee. The application fee is required for all applicants.

Q14: Can I complete my application online?

The application must be completed online via the designated online application system "TAO". For details of application, please consult and follow the Application Handbook.

Q15: Some of my documents might be late and arrive after the application period. What should I do?

Applicants must upload all required documents and complete their application on TAO by 11:00 PM (JST) on the last day of each application period.(see 2. Check Application Period).

*Please note that the University will NOT accept applications submitted after the application period.

Q16: When do I need to upload the required documents by?

Applicants must upload all required documents and complete their application on TAO by 11:00 PM (JST) on the last day of each application period.

Q17: Can I apply now and defer (hold off) enrollment for a year?

No. When you make an application to Ritsumeikan University, you have to apply in the application period for your intended enrollment dates. If you decide after being accepted that you wish to change your enrollment date, you cannot defer your enrollment but must cancel your acceptance and apply again.

Q18: What is the minimum grade / GPA I should have to be accepted?

Decisions are based on an overall holistic assessment. There are no minimum grades / GPA requirements set.

Q19: It is my school's policy to not disclose documents (such as transcripts) to students directly. How should I submit them?

The following documents can be submitted by the school on behalf of the applicant. In this case, applicants must send a request to the school via TAO for the school to upload these documents to TAO.

*Applicants from the Japanese educational system who plan to submit a chousasho (調査書), must send it by post. For details please consult the Application Handbook.

Financial Matters

Q1: Where can I find scholarship information?

Please visit HERE to find more detailed information.

International students (students who will hold the status of residence of "student" while studying at Ritsumeikan University) will receive a tuition reduction through the RU Tuition Reduction Scholarship.
International students in English-medium Undergraduate programs are typically offered a 20% reduction, with 50% and 100% tuition reductions offered to the most outstanding applicants.
The tuition reduction is offered initially for one year, based on students’ admission evaluation. For second and subsequent years, the tuition reduction is awarded based on students’ grades during the previous year of study.

* Details on scholarships may change from year to year.
* The RU Tuition Reduction Scheme will be revised for 2026 onwards.

Other scholarships
Other scholarships information can be found in the following links:

Q2: How do I apply for the Ritsumeikan University Tuition Reduction Scheme?

There is no separate application when applying for the RU Tuition Reduction Scheme. When applying a program on the online application system, applicants indicate their intention to apply for the scholarship. They are then notified of their tuition reduction along with their admission result. 
The RU Tuition Reduction Scheme is offered initially for one year, based on students’ admission evaluation. In second and subsequent years, the tuition reduction is awarded based on students’ grades during the previous year of study. 

*The RU Tuition Reduction Scheme will be revised for 2026 onwards. 

Q3: When will I know the amount of reduction I will receive?

Notification of the scholarship award is sent to the successful applicants along with their admission result.

Q4: I got accepted to a program after completing payment of the enrollment fees for another program at Ritsumeikan University. Can I change the program to enroll? Can I appropriate the fees I paid?

Where an applicant applies to multiple programs and gets accepted to a program after completing payment of the enrollment fees for another program at Ritsumeikan University, students can change the program to enroll and appropriate their fees to the desired program. Students who wish to appropriate their fees MUST contact the International Admissions office by email at ru-iao2@st.ritsumei.ac.jp. For details please refer to this document.


Q1: What are the key features of Ritsumeikan University?

Ritsumeikan University is a leading private university in Japan. It would be hard to list everything we have done and will be doing here in the FAQ page. Our main university’s web page details a vast amount of information. We recommend going through the university's web page. If you would like a glance at our university, take a look at this interactive site HERE.

Q2: What is the relationship between Ritsumeikan University (RU) and Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University (APU)?

Ritsumeikan University and Ritsumeikan APU are different universities but both are a part of the Ritsumeikan Academy. RU and APU offer different undergraduate and graduate programs, also admission methods for the two universities are completely separate. However, as part of the same academy, RU has a close relationship with APU.

Q3: How can I find out more about the Ritsumeikan Academy?

Please refer to the University’s official website.

School Life

Q1: Where can I find information about student life and career support?

Please refer to the following links.

Q2: Are students in the English-medium Undergraduate Programs able to join student exchange programs with RU’s overseas partner universities?

Ritsumeikan University runs exchange and study abroad programs with over 160 partner institutions around the world. In addition, RU operates the Dual Undergraduate Degree Program (DUDP), in which students can earn bachelor’s degrees from both RU and universities outside Japan.
If international students (except students of JD Program and GLA) fulfill the requirements, they can join student exchange programs with our partner institutions or join the DUDP.
For more information on study abroad, please visit HERE.

*This information is not applicable for students of JD Program and GLA. These programs are designed to study in our partner universities as part of the whole curriculum.

Q3: Does the University provide accommodation to international students?

Accommodations are available for students in our English-medium undergraduate programs.
Style of accommodation depends on which campus the student is based at for study. For more information on accommodation, please visit HERE.

Q4: Is it possible to find accommodation on my own?

While the University has international dormitories, students are welcome to find accommodation on their own. In addition to off-campus housing agencies, students can find information about campus-area apartments at the Ritsumeikan Co-op, or on their Sumai-Sagashi" Housing-Search homepage.

Q5: Can I do a part-time job?

International students are allowed to conduct part-time jobs both on-campus and off-campus in Japan for limited hours according to Japanese Law.

To have a part time job with your student resident status, you must obtain a "Permission to Engage in an Activity Other Than That Permitted by the Status of Residence Previously Granted" (Work Permit). You can apply for this at the airport when you enter Japan or later at the Immigration Office.
You should be aware that there are limits on the number of hours per week you can work and also types of part-time jobs you can do.

Q6: Are extra-curricular activities available?

Ritsumeikan University has a long tradition of sport and extra-curricular activities for both native Japanese and international students alike. With approximately 400 teams, clubs, and circles, students are bound to find extra-curricular activities that will help round out their academic experience at Ritsumeikan University, and also allow for them to make connections with other students while enjoying a variety of activities.
The information on HERE is helpful.

Q7: Are campus visits available?

We are accepting limited visits to our campuses. We can typically arrange visits between 9 am to 5:30 pm, Monday to Friday. Visits usually last 60 to 90 minutes. It would be appreciated if you could tell us which college(s) you are interested in.
For your request for campus visit(s), please contact us in advance via email or Inquiry Form (see Contact below).


International Admissions Office

56-1 Toji-in Kitamachi, Kita-ku, Kyoto 603-8577 JAPAN

Note: Before sending your inquiry
Your questions may have already been answered in the above-mentioned column.
Please check the FAQ on this page before submitting your questions.

- Information Request Form
You may submit your questions by filling out the online form provided below.
Information Request Form
*This form is only for the English-medium undergraduate degree programs.

- Send an email
Or email us at:
hello[at]st.ritsumei.ac.jp (please replace [at] with @)

* For other degree programs, such as Graduate Programs or Short-Term exchange programs at Ritsumeikan University, please find contact details HERE.

* For further inquiries regarding the University Entrance Eligibility visit this WEBPAGE