What are the application requirements?
Requirements differ based on the application process. Please refer to the Application Information page here for the appropriate eligibility criteria, required documents and deadlines.
What is the minimum TOEFL®, etc. score required to apply?
There is no minimum requirement, but all applicants are required to submit a certificate from an English language testing agency such as TOEIC®/TOEFL®/IELTS so we can evaluate their language ability.
I studied in English for my undergraduate degree. Do I really need to submit a TOEFL®, etc. score?
Yes. All applicants must submit a score from an internationally recognized, standardized English language proficiency test, regardless of their previous academic experience or official language in their home country.
Must I specify my desired supervisor before applying?
Yes. All applicants must receive an informal OK for research supervision from their desired supervising professor and write the supervisor's name in the application form, regardless of their application type.
How can I view your list of researchers/professors?
Please refer to the Researchers page here to browse an index of our researchers/professors.
How can I contact researchers/professors?
If a researcher's/professor's email address is not open to public, please make a request to get in direct contact with them by emailing the Graduate School of Science and Engineering Administrative Office at:se-admw1@st.ritsumei.ac.jp
What is the screening procedure like?
Screening is conducted primarily based on submitted documents, but an interview via email/telephone/etc. may be conducted if necessary.
Do you have spring semester admission?
The English-language curriculum starts in September. Therefore, we cannot accept applicants for the English-language programs in spring. For details, please see the Entrance Examination Information Website here.
Is Japanese language ability required?
Since lectures are conducted in English, students are not required to have Japanese language ability. However, some knowledge of the Japanese language would make it easier to transition into living in Japan. Students may also take various Japanese language courses to orient them to day-to-day life in Japan and to aid interaction with other students within their research laboratories.
Can I review what graduates have researched in the past?
Please refer to the Past Research Topics page here.
If I have other inquiries, who should I contact?
Please send an email to: se-admw1@st.ritsumei.ac.jp