MEXT Scholarship: University Recommendation
Host University Recommendation Scholarships
Japanese Government (Monbukagakusho: MEXT) University Recommendation Scholarship
(Feb 17, 2021) ATTENTION: SECOND APPLICATION WINDOWS are being held for the Graduate School of Economics and Graduate School of Information Science and Engineering! Interested applicants should download the application guideilnes and forms below and apply as soon as possible. Once complete, please send a PDF scan of your entire application via email to email@example.com in addition to sending your original application documents via post. Applications sent via email by the deadline will be accepted even if the original application documents arrive later, provided that you send proof of postal delivery via email by the deadline.
DEADLINE: February 26, 2021
NOTE: For anyone who applied during the first application window whose application was accepted for admissions review: Since your application is already under review, it is unnecessary for you to apply again during this second application window.
(Feb 10, 2021) ATTENTION: A potential SECOND APPLICATION WINDOW may be held!
While not yet finalized, some of our graduate schools, possibly including but not limited to Economics and/or Information Science and Engineering, may accept additional applications via a second application window. Any potential second application window would likely occur between Feb 24 - Feb 26, and applicants would likely be required to send their entire application via email attachment (PDF format) while at the same time sending their original application documents via post. Required application documents would not differ from those required during the original Dec 2 - Jan 27 application window.
While nothing is finalized, due to the tight potential schedule all prospective applicants are strongly encouraged to begin organizing the requisite certificates and preparing application documents according to the instructions found in any of the application guideline/document PDFs found lower down on this page. With that being said, prospective applicants must understand that 1) there is no guarantee that a second application window will be held; and that 2) if held at all, at this time it is completely uncertain which of our graduate schools may accept additional applications.
If and when the university decides to hold an additional application period, all formal, official information including application guidelines and so on will be posted to this homepage. Interested applicants should check this page at least once each day or two in order to catch any official announcement as soon as it is made.
NOTE: For anyone who applied during the first application window whose application was accepted for admissions review: Since your application is already under review, it is unnecessary for you to apply again during any potential second application window.
(Dec 15, 2020) ATTENTION: Application guidelines and forms for 2021 enrollment to ALL of our Graduate Schools recruiting MEXT University Recommendation Scholarship applicants are now online! See below.
(Dec 1, 2020) ATTENTION: Application guidelines and forms for 2021 enrollment to our Graduate School of Economics with a university recommendation for MEXT Scholarship are now online!
(Nov 26, 2020) ATTENTION: The application periods for 2021 enrollment are fast approaching. This application cycle we plan on accepting applications in two waves - first, applications to our Graduate School of Economics, then second, applications to several of our other graduate schools. We expect to be able to begin releasing specific details and admissions guidelines for admission to a handful of our other graduate schools as early as December 14th. Please keep an eye on this homepage for further updates!
The MEXT University Recommendation Scholarship is a comprehensive scholarship sponsored by the government of Japan, in which Japanese universities recommend individual applicants to the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology of Japan (known as the "Monbukagakusho" in Japanese or by its English language acronym "MEXT") for scholarship. After a subsequent review of those students recommended for scholarship, awardees are selected by MEXT. The following explains procedures for students who wish to seek Ritsumeikan University admissions accompanied by a university recommendation to MEXT for scholarship.
1. Scholarship Eligibility Requirements and Scholarship Benefits
To be eligible to apply for Japanese Government (MEXT) scholarship, an applicant must:
- Have the nationality of a country that has diplomatic relations with the Japanese government. Applicants who have Japanese nationality are not eligible.
- Have been born on or after April 2, 1986.
- Be in both good physical and mental health.
- Be willing to newly acquire a student visa and newly enter Japan for the purpose of study upon receipt of the scholarship.
- Be able to arrive in Japan on a date designated by Ritsumeikan University in the middle of September 2021.
- Have a CGPA equal to or higher than 2.30 out of 3.00 for current degree program (or most recently attended degree program for persons not currently enrolled).
- For applicants to English language medium degree programs: Have English language ability equal to or greater than Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) B2 level. See our CEFR Conversion Chart and MEXT Language Requirements for details.
Additional Requirements, Criteria, and Scholarship Benefits: Please refer to the scholarship outline for a description of scholarship benefits as well as a more detailed overview of scholarship eligibility and conditions.
*In particular, prospective applicants to the Graduate School of Life Science's Doctoral Degree Program must read through the above scholarship outline, as well as carefully read section "I. (2) i. 2." of the "Application Guidelines, FAQ, and Application Forms for Admission to the Graduate Schools of [...] and Life Sciences (M/D)" found at "2. Application, 1.2" below, as scholarship conditions will differ from the normal for those who apply, are selected for enrollment, and are ultimately granted the version of scholarship known as the "Monbukagakusho (MEXT) Top Global University Project (SGU) Scholarship" by MEXT.
At Ritsumeikan University, applicants may apply for enrollment to the Master's and/or Doctoral degree programs of certain select graduate schools via the application procedures described below. Applicants selected for enrollment via these specific procedures will also be granted a university recommendation for MEXT scholarship.
Understand that the graduate schools listed in the application guidelines are recruiting applicants for admission for either their Master's or Doctoral degree programs (or both) as indicated in the application guidelines, only. Graduate schools and/or degree programs NOT listed in the guidelines are NOT being recruited for. For example the Graduate School of Science and Engineering is not listed in the application guidelines because that graduate school is not recruiting prospective MEXT University Recommendation Scholarship applicants for 2021 enrollment.
Please carefully read through all sections of the application guidelines and the FAQ before beginning to complete an application:
*Please download the documents to your computer first then fill them in digitally before printing. Before printing the PDF, be sure to either delete or turn off the “Sticky Note” comment boxes on the PDF application forms. Further reference materials may be found below.
Application Procedures and Forms
Download the set of PDF application guidelines and forms applicable to the graduate school of your interest in section "1" as well as the section "2" WORD research plan template.
- 1.1(Application window ended) Application Guidelines, FAQ, and Application Forms for Admission to the Graduate School of Economics (M/D)
- 1.2 SECOND CALL FOR APPLICATIONS: Application Guidelines, FAQ, and Application Forms for Admission to the Graduate School of Economics (M/D)
- 1.3(Application window ended) Application Guidelines, FAQ, and Application Forms for Admission to the Graduate Schools of Policy Science (M/D), International Relations (M), Information Science and Engineering (M), and Life Sciences (M/D)
- 1.4 SECOND CALL FOR APPLICATIONS: Application Guidelines, FAQ, and Application Forms for Admission to the Graduate School of Information Science and Engineering (M)
- 2. Field of Study and Research Plan [Required for all applicants]
3. Notes to Keep in Mind before Posting your Application
1) Make sure that all of your application documents meet all requirements described in the guidelines and the checklist before checking off each item found in the checklist.
2) In particular, your Letter of Recommendation will not be accepted if it does not meet all requirements mentioned in the guidelines.
3) Additionally, your transcripts also will not be accepted if they do not meet all requirements mentioned in the guidelines. If the form does not meet the criteria in the guidelines, please obtain additional supplemental documentation as necessary from your university, such as a detailed grade scale used be the university or a course registration record to show the year and semester when each of your courses took place before submitting your application.
4) If the rest of your documents are ready but you are waiting for the arrival or announcement of your English language test score, please send the rest of your application in advance before the deadline. Follow up by delivering your language test score as soon as it is ready.
4. General Schedule from Application to Enrollment
The following is a general schedule prediction based on last year's process. Timing of all points below, but in particular the announcement of scholarship results and so on, are at the discretion of MEXT and the university and are subject to change.
|Dec 2020 - Feb 2021||Applicants submit applications to Ritsumeikan University (hereinafter "RU")|
|Feb - Mar 2021||RU announces admission results to applicants|
|Mar - Jun 2021||RU submits scholarship recommendations for applicants who succeeded in the admissions process to MEXT|
|Jun - Aug 2021||MEXT notifies scholarship results to RU|
|RU notifies applicants of their scholarship selection results|
|Aug - Sep 2021||RU issues MEXT Scholarship Certificates to those granted MEXT scholarship|
|Successful applicants submit the MEXT Scholarship Certificate to their local Embassy or Consulate of Japan to apply for a student visa as a Japanese government scholar|
|Mid-Sep 2021||Scholars travel to Japan on a date designated by RU, attend orientation, etc...|
|Sep 26, 2021||The Fall Semester begins and scholars begin their formal studies at RU|
5. Additional Requirements and Supporting Information
- ”Monbukagakusho” is the Japanese word for the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology of Japan, which is also known by its acronym, MEXT.
- Please note that you may only receive University Recommendation for MEXT scholarship from one university.
- Please review our Researcher Database to assist with finding potential research supervisors.
- Students who need to request an individual review of their eligibility, as explained in the guidelines, should contact the International Center at BKC before the first day of the application period. Please see the contact information listed in the application guidelines.
- Students who are currently enrolled in a university in China or who have graduated from a university in China may find information on how to obtain their China Higher-education Student Information Online Verification System certificates here.
- There is no set format for the Letter of Recommendation, but a sample including the required points such as to whom the letter is addressed to and the writer's title, may be found here.
- For more information about MEXT, please visit their home page: http://www.mext.go.jp/en/
- For more information about graduate programs we offer in English and Japanese, please see our admissions page: http://en.ritsumei.ac.jp/admissions/
- If you wish to apply for a Japanese-taught program, please be sure to view our Japanese application guidelines and forms, follow the directions on that page, and complete your forms in Japanese, where appropriate.
- If you have questions about the application process, please contact the International Center at BKC:
Other Scholarship Opportunities