MEXT Scholarship: University Recommendation
Host University Recommendation Scholarships
Japanese Government (Monbukagakusho: MEXT) University Recommendation Scholarship
The application window for 2021 enrollment has ended. Those interested in applying for 2022 enrollment should check this page regularly from early November 2021 onwards in order to catch our application guideilnes and forms as soon as they are released.
The MEXT University Recommendation Scholarship is a comprehensive scholarship sponsored by the government of Japan, in which Japanese universities recommend individual applicants to the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology of Japan (known as the "Monbukagakusho" in Japanese or by its English language acronym "MEXT") for scholarship. After a subsequent review of those students recommended for scholarship, awardees are selected by MEXT. The following explains procedures for students who wish to seek Ritsumeikan University admissions accompanied by a university recommendation to MEXT for scholarship.
1. Scholarship Eligibility Requirements and Scholarship Benefits
To be eligible to apply for Japanese Government (MEXT) scholarship, an applicant must:
- Have the nationality of a country that has diplomatic relations with the Japanese government. Applicants who have Japanese nationality are not eligible (Japanese dual-nationality citizens who plan on renouncing their Japanese citizenship, however, may apply).
- Have been born on or after April 2, 1987.
- Be in both good physical and mental health.
- Be willing to newly acquire a student visa and newly enter Japan for the purpose of study upon receipt of the scholarship.
- Be able to arrive in Japan on a date designated by Ritsumeikan University in the middle of September 2022.
- Have a CGPA equal to or higher than 2.30 out of 3.00 for current degree program as calculated by MEXT's formula (or most recently attended degree program for persons not currently enrolled).
- For applicants to English language medium degree programs: Have English language ability equal to or greater than Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) B2 level. See our CEFR Conversion Chart and MEXT Language Requirements for details.
Additional Requirements, Criteria, and Scholarship Benefits: Please refer to the scholarship outline for a description of scholarship benefits as well as a more detailed overview of scholarship eligibility and conditions.
At Ritsumeikan University, applicants may apply for enrollment to the Master's and/or Doctoral degree programs of certain select graduate schools via the application procedures described below. Applicants selected for enrollment via these specific procedures will also be granted a university recommendation for MEXT scholarship.
Understand that the graduate schools listed in the application guidelines are recruiting applicants for admission for either their Master's or Doctoral degree programs (or both) as indicated in the application guidelines, only. Graduate schools and/or degree programs NOT listed in the guidelines are NOT being recruited for.
Please carefully read through all sections of the application guidelines and the FAQ before beginning to complete an application:
*Please download the documents to your computer first then fill them in digitally before printing. Before printing the PDF, be sure to either delete or turn off the “Sticky Note” comment boxes on the PDF application forms. Further reference materials may be found below.
Application Procedures and Forms
PDF application guidelines and application forms will be uploaded at 1. below around November or December 2021. Download the forms once released along with 2. Field of Study and Research Plan ((WORD) research plan template) and complete. While the mandatory Letter of Reference is free-format, aking your referencer to use 3. Letter of Reference Template should ensure that the letter prepared meets the requisite criteria found in the application guidelines.
- 1. Application Guidelines, FAQ, and Application Forms will be uploaded here in Nov-Dec 2021. In the meantime, please refer to this list of last year's required application documents for reference.
- 2. Field of Study and Research Plan [Submission of a research plan using this format is required for all applicants]
- 3. Letter of Reference Template
3. Notes to Keep in Mind before Posting your Application
1) Make sure that ALL of your application documents meet ALL requirements described in the guidelines checklist.
2) In particular, your Letter of Recommendation, and in turn your application, will not be accepted if it does not meet all requirements mentioned in the guidelines.
3) Additionally, your transcripts, and in turn your application, will not be accepted if they do not meet all requirements mentioned in the guidelines. If your transcripts do not meet the criteria in the guidelines, please obtain additional supplemental documentation, such as a detailed explanation of the grade scale, as necessary from your university before submitting your application.
4) If the rest of your documents are ready but you are waiting for the arrival or announcement of an English language test score, please send the rest of your application in advance before the deadline. Follow up by delivering a scan of your language test score certificate via email as soon as it is ready.
4. General Schedule from Application to Enrollment
The following is a general schedule prediction based on last year's process. Timing of all points below, but in particular the announcement of scholarship results and so on, are at the discretion of MEXT and the university and are subject to change.
|Dec 2021 - Jan 2022||Applicants submit applications to Ritsumeikan University (hereinafter "RU")|
|Feb - Mar 2022||RU announces admission results to applicants|
|Mar - Jun 2022||RU submits scholarship recommendations for applicants who succeeded in the admissions process to MEXT|
|Jun - Aug 2022||MEXT notifies scholarship results to RU|
|RU notifies applicants of their scholarship selection results|
|Aug - Sep 2022||RU issues MEXT Scholarship Certificates to those granted MEXT scholarship|
|Successful applicants submit the MEXT Scholarship Certificate to their local Embassy or Consulate of Japan to apply for a student visa as a Japanese government scholar|
|Mid-Sep 2022||Scholars travel to Japan on a date designated by RU, attend orientation, etc...|
|Sep 26, 2022||The Fall Semester begins and scholars begin their formal studies at RU|
5. Additional Requirements and Supporting Information
- ”Monbukagakusho” is the Japanese word for the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology of Japan, which is also known by its acronym, MEXT.
- Please note that you may only receive University Recommendation for MEXT scholarship from one university.
- Please review our Researcher Database to assist with finding potential research supervisors. You do not need to ask a professor permission to include his or her name on your application.
- Students who need to request an individual review of their eligibility, as explained in the guidelines, should contact the International Center before the first day of the application period. Please see the contact information listed in the application guidelines.
- Students who are currently enrolled in a university in China or who have graduated from a university in China may find information on how to obtain their China Higher-education Student Information Online Verification System certificates here.
- The Letter of Recommendation is free-format, but a sample including the required points such as to whom the letter must be addressed to and the writer's title, may be found here.
- For more information about MEXT, please visit their home page: http://www.mext.go.jp/en/
- For more information about graduate programs we offer in English and Japanese, please see our admissions page: http://en.ritsumei.ac.jp/admissions/
- If you wish to apply for a Japanese-taught program, please be sure to view our Japanese application guidelines and forms, follow the directions on that page, and complete your forms in Japanese, where appropriate.
- If you have questions about the application process, please contact the International Center:
Other Scholarship Opportunities
- MEXT Scholarship: University Recommendation
- MEXT Scholarship: Embassy Recommendation
- Asian Development Bank - Japan Scholarship Program
- Japan-IMF Scholarship Program for Asia
- China Scholarship Council
- JICA ABE Initiative and SDGs Global Leaders Course Scholarships
- Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) Scholarships