MEXT Scholarship: University Recommendation
Host University Recommendation Scholarships
Japanese Government (Monbukagakusho: MEXT) University Recommendation Scholarship
・ATTENTION: Students Interested in Applying Next Cycle (Sep 2020 Enrollment)
Recently, MEXT has moved to newly establish a minimum requirement for the language ability level of applicants for their University Recommendation Scholarship. At this point the exact details of any minimum score level that will be acceptable for the next cycle are unclear, however we ask any students considering to apply next cycle to begin thoroughly reviewing and studying English now, and complete an internationally recognized English language examination before our next application window begins (our next application window is scheduled for late November ~ early December 2019). Based on MEXT's current minimum requirements, interested applicants should aim to achieve a score equivalent to or higher than CEFR B2 on all sections of whichever examination they complete (i.e. scores earned on the individual listening, speaking, reading, writing, etc... sections should all be CEFR B2 level or higher).
*If your first language is English there is no need to complete an English language exam, however, you must be able to submit a certificate from your current/most recently attended academic institution stating that all the university's courses, other than foreign language courses, are/were given in English.
The Application Period for Sep 2019 enrollment with a recommendation for MEXT scholarship has ended - thank you for your many applications. For those students selected for enrollment with a recommendation for MEXT scholarship, we now ask that you remain patient until we contact you with your scholarship selection results.
The MEXT University Recommendation Scholarship is a scholarship sponsored by the government of Japan, in which Japanese universities recommend individual applicants to the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology of Japan (MEXT) for scholarship. After a subsequent review of those students recommended for scholarship, awardees are selected by MEXT. The following explains procedures for students who wish to seek Ritsumeikan University admissions along with a recommendation to MEXT for scholarship.
1. Eligibility Requirements
To apply for a Japanese Government MONBUKAGAKUSHO (MEXT) scholarship, an applicant must:
- Have the nationality of a country that has diplomatic relations with the Japanese government. Applicants who have Japanese nationality are not eligible.
- Newly enter Japan for the purpose of study upon receipt of the scholarship.
- Have been born on or after April 2, 1984.
- Be in both good physical and mental health.
- Be able to arrive in Japan on a date designated by Ritsumeikan University in the middle of September 2019.
- Meet or exceed the academic and linguistic ability requirements established by the Monbukagakusho.
Please refer to the scholarship outline for further information about scholarship eligibility, coverage, and conditions.
Monbukagakusho scholarships are available for both degree-seeking and non-degree seeking (i.e. research only) students. Whichever you intend to apply for, please carefully read through the appropriate official university admissions application guidelines below and the FAQ before beginning to complete your application:
*Please download the documents to your computer first, then fill them in in electronic format before printing. Before printing the PDF, be sure to either delete or turn off the “Sticky Note” comment boxes on the application forms. Further reference materials may be found below.
*Do not delete or modify the formatting of the pre-existing text in the research plan WORD file.
Application Procedures and Forms for Degree-Seeking Students
- 1. Application Guidelines and Forms for Degree-Seeking Students
- 2. Field of Study and Study Program (research plan)
Application Procedures for Non-Degree Seeking Research Students
- 1. Application Guidelines and Forms for Non-Degree Seeking Research Students
- 2. Field of Study and Study Program (research plan)
3. Notes to Keep in Mind before Posting your Application
1) Make sure that all of your application documents meet all requirements in the guidelines and the checklist before checking off each item found in the checklist.
2) In particular, your Letter of Recommendation will not be accepted if it does not meet all requirements mentioned in the guidelines.
3) Additionally, your transcripts also will not be accepted if they do not meet all requirements mentioned in the guidelines. If the form does not meet the criteria in the guidelines, please obtain additional supplemental documentation as necessary from your university, such as a detailed grade scale used be the university or a course registration record to show the year and semester when each of your courses took place before submitting your application.
4) If the rest of your documents are ready but you are waiting for the arrival or announcement of your English language test score, please send the rest of your application in advance before the deadline. Follow up by delivering your language test score as soon as it is ready.
4. Additional Requirements and Supporting Information
- ”Monbukagakusho” is the Japanese word for the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology of Japan, which is also known by its acronym, MEXT.
- Please note that you may only receive University Recommendation for MEXT scholarship from one university.
- Please review our Researcher Database to assist with finding potential research supervisors.
- Students who need to request an individual review of their eligibility, as explained in the guidelines, should contact the International Center at BKC before the first day of the application period. Please see the contact information listed in the application guidelines.
- Students who are currently enrolled in a university in China or who have graduated from a university in China may find information on how to obtain their China Higher-education Student Information Online Verification System certificates here.
- A sample Letter of Recommendation format, including the required forms of address and writer's title, may be found here.
- For more information about MEXT, please visit their home page: http://www.mext.go.jp/en/
- For more information about graduate programs we offer in English and Japanese, please see our admissions page: http://en.ritsumei.ac.jp/admissions/
- If you wish to apply for a Japanese-taught program, please be sure to view our Japanese application guidelines and forms, follow the directions on that page, and complete your forms in Japanese, where appropriate.
- If you have questions about the application process, please contact the International Center at BKC: