MEXT Scholarship: University Recommendation
Host University Recommendation Scholarships
Japanese Government (Monbukagakusho: MEXT) University Recommendation Scholarship
The Standard Application Period
・The Standard Application Period has come to a close. Those who completed an application should await the announcement of results, scheduled for February 3, 2017.
NOTICE: ADDITIONAL APPLICATION PERIOD TO BE HELD THIS MONTH! Additional Application Period forms for 2017 September Enrollment are available below.
An additional call for applications for the Graduate School of Economics, the Graduate School of International Relations, and the Graduate School of Information Science and Engineering will be held from Feb 3 – Feb 17, 2017. Interested students should read this page and the application guidelines at the link below, and submit an application so that it arrives before the deadline in order to apply.
Information for the Additional Application Period: Feb 3 – Feb 17, 2017
1. Eligibility Requirements
To apply for a Japanese Government MONBUKAGAKUSHO (MEXT) scholarship, an applicant must:
- Have the nationality of a country that has diplomatic relations with the Japanese government. Applicants who have Japanese nationality are not eligible.
- Newly enter Japan for the purpose of study upon receipt of the scholarship.
- Have been born on or after April 2, 1982.
- Be in both good physical and mental health.
- Be able to arrive in Japan on the date designated by the host institution in the middle of September 2017.
- Meet or exceed the academic and linguistic ability requirements established by the Monbukagakusho.
Please refer to the scholarship outline for further information about scholarship eligibility, coverage, and conditions.
Please read over the following documents containing important information about the content of, eligibility for, and application procedures for your desired scholarship below:
Application Procedures for Degree-Seeking Students
- Application Guidelines for Degree-Seeking Students
- Application Documents
*Please download the documents on your computer first, then fill them in in electronic format before printing. When printing, be sure not to include the comment boxes on the application forms.
*Reference materials may be found below. Please read all instructions contained within the forms and FAQ carefully before filling.
3. Additional Requirements and Supporting Information
- ”Monbukagakusho” is the Japanese word for the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology of Japan, which is also known by its acronym, MEXT.
- Please note that you may only receive University Recommendation for MEXT scholarship from one university.
- Please review our Researcher Database to assist with finding potential research supervisors.
- Students who need to request an individual review of their eligibility, as explained in the guidelines, should contact the International Center at BKC before Friday, February 3, 2017. Please see the contact information listed in the application guidelines.
- Students who are currently enrolled in a university in China or who have graduated from a university in China may find information on how to obtain their China Higher-education Student Information Online Verification System certificates here.
- A sample Letter of Recommendation format, including the required forms of address and writer's title, may be found here.
- For more information about the Monbukagakusho, please visit their home page: http://www.mext.go.jp/en/
- For more information about graduate programs we offer in English and Japanese, please see our admissions page: http://en.ritsumei.ac.jp/admissions/
- If you wish to apply for a Japanese-taught program, please be sure to view our Japanese application guidelines and forms, follow the directions on that page, and complete your forms in Japanese, where appropriate.
- If you have questions about the application process, please contact the International Center at BKC: