Research Students

Research Internship


The Research Internship opportunities are offered only to those graduate students (Master's/Doctoral or equivalent) who belong to our partner universities shown in our Global Network page here.

*Please note that those who are currently pursuing a bachelor degree are NOT eligible to apply for a Research Internship.

STEP1 Get in touch with us

The representative(s) of your institution gets in touch with us, along with your CV, Research Plan, etc.. Visit our Researchers page to find your desired supervisor.

STEP2 Submit Application Documents

Submit the following Application Documents by express post and email.

Application Documents Notes
1 Application Form for Exchange Research Student Signature and date must be original, otherwise typed
2 Recommendation Letter for Exchange Research Student Signature and date must be original, otherwise typed
3 Declaration Statement Signature and date must be original, otherwise typed
4 Research Proposal The data must be in Word Format
5 CV
6 Passport copy Copy of the photo page of your passport
7 Two photographs One photograph 3x2.5cm
One photograph 4x3cm (attached to “(1) Application Form for Exchange Research Student”)
8 Copy of flight e-ticket (or flight itinerary) If available
By Express Post To By Email To
Administrative Office
Graduate School of Science and Engineering
Ritsumeikan University
1-1-1 Noji-higashi, Kusatsu, Shiga 525-8577 Japan
Tel: +81-77-561-2624
STEP3 Apply for a Certificate of Eligibility

Before obtaining a visa, you must first obtain a "Certificate of Eligibility for Status of Residence (COE) from the Japanese Immigration Bureau. Ritsumeikan will apply by proxy for the COE for you. Issuance of the COE generally takes more than 1 month from time of application. Due to this, you should submit all of the above-mentioned documents far in advance. After the issuance, we will send it to you by mail.
Regarding necessary procedures for newly entering Japan in the light of COVID-19, please refer to the FAQ here.

STEP4 Apply for a visa to Japan

Once you receive the COE from us, you then need to visit the nearest Japanese Embassy or Consulate in your home country to apply for a visa to Japan.

STEP5 Apply for the International Student Dormitory

Visit the BKC International House page to apply for a room in the dormitory for international students, located immediately adjacent to campus.

STEP6 Fly to Japan

Visit our Access page to find out how to get to our BKC campus!

Procedures to Complete Prior to Travel and After Arrival in Japan

Before your start your internship at Ritsumeikan, please carefully read the instructions here and make sure to complete all necessary procedures.