Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) Scholarships
About JICA Scholarships
The Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) sponsors a number of scholarships for those interested in pursuing higher studies in Japan. Please see the information below for the following JICA scholarships available for eligible candidates who wish to study in one of Ritsumeikan University’s graduate schools.
Republic of the Union of Myanmar Long-term Training Course on Administrative Capacity Development
Applications are currently being accepted, up through Wednesday, July 4th, 2019
The Long-term Training Course on Administrative Capacity Development is a program developed to promote the administrative capacity of public servants in Myanmar. Interested persons from Myanmar working in the public sector are encouraged to seek more detailed information at their workplace or from JICA’s Myanmar regional office.
JICA Myanmar Homepage
1. Applicable Graduate Schools
- Graduate School of International Relations
- Graduate School of Policy Science
- Graduate School of Economics
2. Application Procedures
Please follow the instructions contained within the Application Guidelines linked below in order to complete your application for Ritsumeikan University enrollment within the framework of the Long-term Training Course on Administrative Capacity Development. Applicants may apply for enrollment to either a Master's or Doctoral Program through these procedures. The application form itself should be filled out digitally as much as possible.
Project for the Promotion and Enhancement of the Afghan Capacity for Effective Development (PEACE)
Please refer to JICA’s PEACE Project homepage for an outline of the project’s objectives, and refer to the PEACE Project portal website for further information about the scholarship’s benefits, eligibility criteria, conditions, to see which Ritsumeikan University graduate schools are recruiting participants, and to learn about how to apply.
1. Eligibility Requirements
To apply for PEACE Project-sponsored graduate enrollment at Ritsumeikan University, an applicant must:
- Be a citizen of Afghanistan.
- Have already obtained a bachelor’s degree or the equivalent.
- Be a civil servant from one of the target ministries or faculty member from one of the universities under the Ministry of Higher Education, and have at least 6 months of work experience in said organization.
- Have sufficient English language ability to complete graduate study in English.
- Meet all other eligibility requirements as designated by JICA.
2. Application Procedures
Please see the PEACE Project portal website at the link above and follow the instructions in order to complete an application.
SDGs Global Leaders Course
JICA's SDGs Global Leaders Course is a scholarship program for government employees, university professors, etc... from the countries of ASEAN, Oceania, South, East, and Central Asia, South America and Africa. The goal of the program is to raise the potential leaders of the future, and to develop their capacity to assist their countries in meeting their Sustainable Development Goals. Information on this opportunity will be shared through the workplaces of eligible applicants, and applicants must apply through there workplace to JICA first before completing the university admissions procedures described below. For further details on this opportunity, please inquire at your workplace and/or contact your local JICA branch office directly.
1. Eligibility Criteria
Applicants should be a government employee or university professor and must be from one of the follow countries. Further, the applicant must have already passed JICA's primary screening.
- ASEAN: Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Phillipines, Thailand, Vietnam
- Oceania: Cook Islands, Fiji, Kiribatu, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Nauru, Niue, Palao, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu
- South Asia: Bhutan, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Pakistan, Maldives
- East and Central Asia: Mongolia, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Georgia
- South America: Bolivia, El Salvador, Jamaica
- Africa: Kenya, Rwanda
2. Applicable Graduate Schools
3. Application Procedures
Eligible applicants who have passed JICA's screening should follow the instructions contained within the Application Guidelines below in order to complete an application for Ritsumeikan University enrollment within the framework of the SDGs Global Leaders Course. The application form itself should be filled out digitally as much as possible.
Additional Supporting Information
- Please review our Researcher Database to assist with finding potential research supervisors.
- For more information about the Japan International Cooperation Agency, please visit their home page: https://www.jica.go.jp/english/index.html
- For more information about graduate programs we offer in English and Japanese, please see our admissions page: http://en.ritsumei.ac.jp/admissions/
- If you have questions about the application process, please contact the International Center at BKC: